Stress free eating
If you are under a lot of stress, and who isn’t at this festive time, not only could it put you in a bad mood but you are more susceptible to illnesses. One simple solution is to eat plenty of stress busting foods and drink.
So make sure these are on your shopping list!
- Porridge, wholegrain cereal like branflakes, Weetabix or shredded wheat, brazil nuts. The serotonin in these foods has a calming effect on the brain
- Wholegrain bread, pasta and rice – these complex carbs help the brain to make more serotonin. They have the added benefit of balancing blood sugar levels
- During the day drink black or green tea – research has shown that these drinks can help you recover from stressful events more quickly
- Oily fish – the omega 3 fatty acids found in fish like salmon, fresh tuna or mackerel can prevent surges in the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline
- Stay hydrated with water
- Love your veggies – vegetables like spinach and avocado contain potassium and magnesium, which can help reduce blood pressure and balance cortisol levels.
- A warm milky drink at night – the calcium has been found to soothe tension and ease anxiety
- Rest and relaxation – try and find 10 or 15 minutes to chill and unwind; read a paper, listen to some music have a bath or simply do some deep breathing
- Less alcohol – A tipple is often drunk to steady your nerves, but alcohol is a depressant, affecting your thoughts, feelings and actions, which can lead to a restless nights sleep
- De-stress with some exercise – activity that increases your heart rate and makes you sweat not only increases oxygen around your body but produces a feel good chemical called endorphins
Try these stress busting recipes