PULLED JACKFRUIT WRAP (Its best if you can make this the day before ) serves 3 – 4 people
There are a lot of ingredients here, but the taste and texture is so worth it! You can make large batches of the pulled jackfruit. When it’s cooled, portion it up in to freezer bags and freeze for when you need to eat in a hurry.
I found the tinned jackfruit and liquid smoke at V Spot, a completely vegan shop in Sherwood, Nottingham http://www.v-spot.co.uk
|2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
1 small red onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
½ tsp ground cumin, coriander and smoked paprika
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground cloves or star anise, optional
½ – 1 tsp chilli paste/flakes or powder – I used Gochujang
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tin of jackfruit in water
1 ½ tbsp soy sauce or tamari
|1 tbsp. maple syrup or 2 squares of dark chocolate
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp liquid smoke**
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
4-5 wholemeal wraps
lots of crunchy salad
avocado salsa – optional 1 avocado, mashed, large pinch chili flakes or ½ fresh chilli, 1-2 tsp lime juice, 1 tomato chopped, 1 spring onion finely sliced, pick of rock/sea salt.
**If you don’t have liquid smoke, you could increase the amount of smoked paprika instead
- Heat the oil in a medium, heavy-bottomed, pan. Fry the diced red onion until soft and golden. Add chopped garlic and fry for a few minutes.
- While that is cooking drain the jackfruit and set aside.
- Add the spices to the onions: cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, cinnamon and cloves. Fry for a minute or two, to release the flavours.
- Mix in the tomato & chilli paste or fresh chilli and again fry for a minute, using a spoon/spatula to keep it from sticking.
- Add in the jackfruit along with soy sauce, maple syrup, liquid smoke and apple cider vinegar. Mix everything really well. Squash the jackfruit pieces with your spoon or fork so that the individual fibres separate. Season with pepper. Simmer the mixture gently for another 10-15 minutes and then allow it to cool down. Place in the fridge overnight to intensify the flavour. If that’s not possible a couple of hours will do
- Just before you are ready to assemble the wraps, set the oven to 200° C/ Gas 6 Spread the jackfruit pieces on a baking paper-lined baking tray, pull apart any large pieces and bake for about 20 minutes, until they are browned and crispy. Remove from the oven and let it cool
- Make the salsa if you are having it – Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Check the seasoning. Done!
- Finally, fill your wrap with salad spread the pulled jackfruit on top and add a dollop of salsa (if using). Wrap up and enjoy. 2 wraps per person